People are making new applications to ease life of the user. System are getting more complex every day and end user expectation level is rising.
We have moved a long way from text based gopher to world of multimedia. Web 2.0 is the new buzz word you hear now. I'm seeing lots of interesting applications using this technology.
In a nutshell different phases of Internet evolution
- Plain text based information sharing
- Hypertext documents - interlinked documents
- Use of simple graphics and colours : evolution of graphical browser.
- Animation : world of flash and gif
- Web 2.0 : web based application got simpler, lots of desktop application are morphing to work over web.
I guess now is the time for hypermedia. System will evolve to incorporate 3D world inside the box. Its just the time when someone make a interesting application using VRML and people will just jump into band wagon. This should not be standalone applications but the next generation application which will built over the previous stages. In my opinion all that is required are
- A simple 3D browser,
- Easy to design 3D world
A real estate site showing the 3D virtual tour of the location would be interesting ;-)